Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rice Krispies Treats / The Host

I made Rice Krispy treats today.  I got the idea from the Chocolate Peanut Butter Gallery .  They got their recipe from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/crispy-rice-treats-recipe/index.html .

All went well until I was stirring the peanut butter into the marshmallow mix.  I stepped away for a few too many seconds, and I think the peanut butter started to cook.  But I rescued it in time.  After the treats had cooled in the pan, I dipped them in some chocolate and let them set in the fridge for a few minutes.  They came out very chewy.  Mom liked them.  I thought they were just okay.

Next time I'll try to make something "savory," instead of a dessert.

I finished reading "The Host" a few days ago.  It's kind of like a kinder, gentler version of "Invasion of the Body-Snatchers," if you've ever seen that.  Except, we know that these "beings" are here, and there's one person who won't let the "soul" (the book's term) move in. We're just trying to make your planet better!  Seriously.  We are!

I had a really hard time with this book.  The first third was rather confusing.  I was about ready to just chuck it.  It wasn't until I got into the second half that it got interesting.  Instead of the "soul" trying to control the human, the situation is in reverse.  The last third and the ending are really great.  But does a great ending mean a great book?  Not necessarily.  "The Host" may be heading to Half-Price Books soon.

A movie for it is in the works.  Maybe a simplified film version will be easier for me.    

I was pretty glad to start reading John Grisham's "The Confession."  Only a chapter in, and it's good. 

No comments:

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...