Sunday, July 31, 2011

Brownies vs. Marshmallows

"What a marshmallow!"- Jacob Black, New Moon

(Ha ha.)

The newest recipe that I have tried most recently involves brownie mix.  It was based on taking cookie dough, putting it in muffin tins, and when it was pretty much baked, you put in a Hershey's Kiss, mini peanut butter cup, etc.-- thus creating a "cookie cup."  So I wondered: can it be done with brownie mix?

It can.  Sort of.

It depends on what you want to put in it.  Peanut butter cups work beautifully.  Marshmallows don't, so much.  Those are the two variables I tried.  Both items I put in before the brownies were baked.  The marshmallows just seemed to float, melt, then simply toast on top.  The peanut butter cups just remain in their chocolate beds, slightly melting.  There's probably some good news for the marshmallow camp- the marshmallow develops an almost taffy-like consistency after it comes out of the oven.

[And now, an official disclaimer from Mom: she's making me say that I used one large marshmallow per tin.  I should have just mixed up mini marshmallows in the batter.] 

I'd like to try these in mini muffin tins.  The brownies came out soft and fudgy; I tried not to overbake them. 

Next up on my baking list and blog: the new bake-your-own "twinkies" that you may have seen in grocery stores.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I like the idea of the PB cup. I'm not nuts about marshmallows anyway. Did the brownies have nuts in them?

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...