Saturday, August 6, 2011

"Fun-Da-Middles" Not so Fun / Culinary Cheating

Okay... you may have seen those Betty Crocker (might be wrong on the brand) cupcake mixes where you put the creme in the middle then bake.  Kind of like Twinkies, and they've made other varieties.  I used the vanilla mix / vanilla creme one; they also have chocolate/vanilla, and vanilla/chocolate.

You mix the cake mix, then put 2/3rds or so in the tins, squeeze a dollop of creme in, then put some more batter on top.  Mine weren't so precise, though they came out okay.  There are exact instructions on how to put the creme in (DON'T let the creme touch the sides).  Bake, and you have your own Twinkies, Hostess Cupcakes, whatever.  They taste good.  They're fine.  They'll cure your sweet tooth.  Honestly, I won't buy these too often. 

If someone from BC ever reads this, try putting a frosting tip mechanism with the creme.  It'll go in easier; the user will have better control. 

Round 2: Me v. Roasted Cauliflower.  I won.  It came out much better this time.  Kept the temp much lower- about 300-325 deg.

So... I was buying stuff at the store today when Another National Brand (who shall remain nameless) came out with their own whoopie pie mix.  Picked up the box, looked at the instructions, and thought, "I could copy this myself." (And I'm sure at least a few dozen other people have.)  So I snapped a picture of the instructions, bought my own cake mix and frosting.  I'll be attempting this in the future.

No comments:

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...