Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Everything was so clear."

I had to start this post with a quote from Bella Cullen as she awakens to her new vampire life. It's quite fitting, I think. It's the ultimate HD vision. I have quite resigned myself to the fact that I will never have "vampire vision." And, frankly, I am quite okay with that.

I was a preemie, and I won't go over all of the details, but suffice it to say that life could have handed me a worse deal. The major issue that I've had to deal with is my vision. I've had glasses since I was about one and a-half years old. I had a cataract in one eye when I was a teenager (and it's common for us to have them at that time).


So anyway.... I was overdue for glasses this time around. There was a package deal where you could get contacts, glasses, and an exam for so much, so I decided to go with that. I have a mixed history with contacts. Back when I was about 8 or 9, it was decided that I would try contacts because the doctor said it would be good for my peripheral vision. I don't remember sticking with them for very long, because I hated having them put in.  Mom would put them in for me and it was a big struggle.


Fast-forward to the present: So I went to the doctor's, and everything was good. She started questioning me after looking at pictures of my retinas. *Let the auto-pilot begin* After mentioning "retinopathy of prematurity", everything clicked into place. She even called in her third-year medical student to come see me. Show and tell, I felt like.


A short time later it was time to try out the contacts. I must commend the third-year, and the technician. They had the patience of Job. Dilated eyes + contact lens tutorial = disaster. I'm usually tired as all-get out after my eyes are dilated. It took me like, forty-five minutes to get the contacts in and out. I was sent home with the contacts.


I skipped the next day, then cautiously tried them out the next. My, but they were pretty nice. I've had them for about a week now, and sometimes I still fight to get them in, but it's better. Sunglasses are a nice friend. I picked up my glasses Sunday, and they're working out, too.

No comments:

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...