Monday, July 11, 2016

Comicpalooza (or, It's Kind of a Funny Story)


The golden idol, or holy grail, of just about any fandom is going to Comic Con in San Diego.  ("Throw me the idol, I throw you the tickets!")
However, sometimes you have to make do with what you got. I had heard about Comicpalooza around 2 years ago, but hadn't really had much of a desire to go- until this year. 
In April I found out that Norman Reedus was going to be at Comicpalooza. (Yes, I'm a Walking Dead fan) To make a long story short, I was able to go in the end. And meet Norman Reedus. And did I mention Lennie James? 
Someone went with me on Sunday, the 19th. This Someone didn't want to be in my picture with said actors, but the staff would let her have a quick fly-by in the photography area.  
After checking in, I looked around for a little bit then we headed over to the photo op section. We got in a good place in line. Good enough, in fact, to see the actors arrive.  I believe Michael Rooker arrived first, Lennie arrived shortly after. They said hi to everyone as they came. Norman came last; I think he was at an autograph session. He made up for it though. He stuck his head out of the curtained area a couple of times. And his foot. Everyone screamed.  
Then the staff started letting people in. We were arranged in lines according to photo types: Norman only, Lennie only, Michael and Norman, etc. You get the idea. I was trying not to freak out too much at this point. 
Finally it was my turn. I knew beforehand that I wouldn't have a lot of time in there. I went in the area. I may have passed by Michael; I think he was in the corner. Lennie was the first one I saw. My conscious thought was: "He's so tall." I said, "Hi, Lennie, it's nice to meet you." I shook his hand. He said, "It's nice to meet you." 
I saw Norman next (he's also tall). I shook his hand. Again, "Hi, Norman, it's nice to meet you." They were both really nice.
Then it was time for the photo. It was about this time, in front of that camera, that my brain ceased to function. 
I forgot to take off my glasses. The studio recommends you do.
I forgot to smile.  
In front of that camera, my brain goes, "Oh, wait--"  
But it was already done. The photographer must have checked to see if someone blinked, and nodded. Keep in mind, all of this took about thirty seconds.  I must have said thank you, and went out to collect the picture.  
I looked... Stunned. It wasn't quite my ideal picture. I just ended up, with some prodding from the Someone, just chalking it up to experience. And it was kind of funny. 
I went to explore for the rest of the day. It was shortly after the photo op and looking around the floor that I looked at my watch. "Shoot!" It was after one. I'd had a panel I'd wanted to go to.  So I went as fast as I could to the next floor, and got to see most of it. 
I also dropped in on the Boondock Saints panel, only because I thought Norman would be there. After a few minutes I left, only to learn later that he did stop by for a few minutes.  
Charlie Hunnam was there signing autographs, but I didn't see him. I did pass by Peter Mayhew's (Chewbacca) table. 
It was neat looking at all the vendors' booths. The big thing to buy there is fan art, and there is a lot of it. I stopped by one artist's booth; she had designed the art that went on the 3-day passes: Captain America and Iron Man. The larger prints were sold out, but she had smaller ones available and autographed one for me.  There was also a booth that sold photographs from TV and movies; they might have been reprints but it was okay.  We found some from Gotham (Someone's favorite), Homeland, and even Twilight.  We purchased a Walking Dead cast picture that had been taken last season with everyone in it. (On a related note: maybe next year, I'll go for an autograph instead of a picture.)  Someone also enjoyed the NASA booth. 
What not to buy: food.  Seriously, the food there is so overpriced.  You're better off going upstairs and eating at the Starbucks.  There was a good pretzel, though, if a bit overpriced. 

All in all, I had a great time. It was a good introduction to Comicpalooza, and I'd like to go again next year. 

No comments:

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...