Monday, June 27, 2011

Southern... Toffee?

I had wanted to make this saltine cracker toffee candy for a while.  Paula Deen has a recipe of it, but the one I used was from http://tammysrecipes.com/easy_saltine_cracker_candy .  It's pretty easy to make, all you need is crackers, brown sugar, butter, nuts, and chocolate chips.

You combine the brown sugar and butter, and bring it to a boil.  Okay, done.  Pour it over the crackers that you've laid out on a baking sheet.  Pop it into the oven for a few minutes, put the chocolate on it, let that melt, then put the nuts on top.  Let cool, then put it in the fridge to solidify.

There was one problem.  I probably should have doubled the recipe for the toffee, because it didn't really make enough to cover the crackers.  The mixture wasn't quite liquified enough, and thus, was not that "pourable."  I quickly learned that I didn't have enough chocolate chips on hand.  I tried to make do with a remnant of a chocolate bar.  The semisweet chips didn't melt that great.  Paula uses chocolate bars.

All in all, if you need a sugar fix, this is it.  One other thing-- Mom suggested putting the nuts on after the toffee, instead of on the chocolate.  (Some of the nuts had fallen off) 

If I try this recipe again, I would do a little bit of tweaking.

No comments:

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...