Sunday, May 25, 2014

Book Musings and More

Hi.  Here's another issue (well, maybe it's the first) of book musings.... 

Sometimes I wonder about book characters.

- Did Katniss forgive her mother after Mockingjay?  Did she forgive Gale?
- I wonder if (in The Help) "Baby Girl" Leefolt remembered Abileen, and if she grew up believing she was kind... smart... important.

I can get pretty sucked into a book- imagination-wise.  I get a picture of the setting, and that setting sticks.  For example, when reading Stephenie Meyer's "Breaking Dawn," I mostly imagine an acquaintance's house, instead of the Cullen's in the film.  This is even after I've seen the film a few times.  It's kind of interesting. 

We have a pretty strong need to defend our respective fandoms.  I guess it's kind of like high school, in a way.  And don't get us started about downing our favorites.  Case in point: Twilight.  Lately, these graphics have been popping up on Pinterest.  The "creator" takes literary/film heroines, such as Hermoine and Katniss, they saved people, helped their friends, etc.  Then there's Bella Swan... who did nothing except get a boyfriend.  Stuff like that.  Kind of drives me nuts.

(They must not have read the end of "Breaking Dawn.")

Repeat after me: They. Are. Different. Stories.  You'd like another word?  Here you go: Genres.

*Steps off soapbox* 

I'm talking to all of my fellow children of the eighties here: How would our lives be different if all the books we love now were available back in high school?  I mean all of us who are *slightly* out of the suggested range for YA (young adult) literature.  It would have been fun.  But we would have been more low-tech about it-- The Internet was just a baby when I was starting high school. 

OK, I think I'm done. 

Currently reading: "The Book Thief" and "How I Live Now."

Movie List for the summer:
- Godzilla
- X-Men: Days of Future Past
- The Fault in Our Stars
- Maleficent

No comments:

Taylor Swift, Super Saturday Night- A Look Back

I remember the moment I became a Taylor Swift fan. I had heard a few songs of hers on the radio. However, it was in the fall of 2010 I found...